How to turn from an ordinary person into a leader of opinions? We have already published a selection of accounts that inspire. Now we will listen to real people. These are not stars, not one-day highpojors - just a few well-known bloggers from different fields of activity. The interview was given by a marketer, fitness trainer, food blogger and traveler photographer.
Cooker, food photographer
- 2. For what purpose did you initially create an account and did this goal change over time?
- 3. What promotion tools do you use?
- 4. If it's not a secret, how much was invested in the promotion?
- 5. What difficulties did you encounter at the beginning of your journey?
- 6. What content do you prefer?
- 7. Do you run Instagram yourself or have an assistant?
- 8. Do you communicate with subscribers, respond to comments?
- 9. What advise those who want to unwind on Instagram?
- 10. What is the highlight of your Instagram?
- From the author
1. How long have you been on Instagram?
- Since 2012, but for a long time it was a completely private closed account, not a blog. I began to think about the blog in the summer of 2017, and keep on a constant basis - in January 2018.
- From the very first day, how the Instagram platform appeared. The first few years it was a personal page - I had no thought to become a blogger. Four years later, the personal blog gradually grew into a fitness account.
- If we talk about the date of creation of the account and the first publication, then this is 2013, and if about the beginning of the development of the account, then about a year.
- According to Instagram, my profile was created on October 19, 2011, but I have been actively conducting it since the fall of 2013, that is, exactly 5 years.
2. For what purpose did you initially create an account and did this goal change over time?
- Initially, I created my blog for the soul, for myself. Later I decided that it would be nice to reveal in it the main aspects of marketing that I speak to each client in my consultations.
I chose the Instagram site for this because it was more interesting there than on others. But at first I didn’t have a goal to monetize it through advertising or informational products. Rather, a blog is an element of my personal brand, which was supposed to increase loyalty to me as a specialist and bring me closer to those with whom I work.
Over time, the goal has not changed much, but at some point I began to write less about marketing, to reveal more personal aspects of life. This is due to the fact that, firstly, I am a little tired of constantly writing about the same thing, which is annoying. And secondly, the trend is now on a mixed-expert personal brand and, accordingly, a blog. Even those who came to Instagram with a commercial purpose now see this trend and begin to follow it. Readers are tired of a lot of dry good, they are interested in life and live communication.
So a blog, like its owner’s personal brand, is a living organism, it is constantly growing and changing.
- At first it was a personal blog. Then I gradually began to share training experiences, talk about the transformation of my body. Then she began performing in fitness competitions. Then, six years ago, they were booming, and I was one of the first athletes who represented Russia on the world stage. I won several major competitions and attracted the interest of the public. She also began to cooperate with a large sports nutrition company, with the largest fitness magazines in New York, Australia and Russia. Each publication in the magazine attracted subscribers. So my audience was completely organic - I did not make any attempts to gain subscribers on purpose.
And when my page began to change, I thought that this is already a more fitness account and it is necessary to maintain the interest of the audience, to increase it. So I started a little marketing promotion, as people learn about my new projects and my activities through social networks. My activity is very extensive: I travel around Russia and other countries of the world with educational seminars, organize fitness tours, develop my online fitness project where people from all over the world train and achieve results. I also personally train clients in New York and lead individual clients online.
- Initially, I created an account, because I had a smartphone with a camera - it was an iPhone 4s. Well, as a result - the opportunity to photograph something and share it with other people. My goal has not changed since then, I still share something beautiful, only the iphone was replaced by a good mirrorless camera from Sony. And the goal is simple: you saw something beautiful, captured it, shared it, inspired someone. Then this someone saw something beautiful, shared and inspired you. In general, this cycle turns out :)
- Initially, I created a blog as a personal page, then it gradually grew into a culinary blog exclusively for communication with like-minded people. We studied food photography together, shared interesting recipes, and participated in contests. As a work, I did not perceive it until recently. And by work, I mean rather a more responsible approach to content and the need to regularly publish news about my book updates. Content plans with themes and time of posts, like real bloggers, I do not compose - I publish from the heart when I feel that I am ready to share the news or recipe.
3. What promotion tools do you use?
- Mostly recommendations in stories from other bloggers. Some publications gave a good result when promoting among a specifically tuned audience, but then there was a bug in my account and at some point I stopped promoting publications through the advertising cabinet.
- As I said, the promotion took place naturally, the audience was growing organically. But still I used some tools. Every year I visit the world's largest fitness exhibitions, I am familiar with all famous athletes, fitness figures in Moscow and America. We intersect in reality - we constantly communicate, take pictures - and it goes online.
In the later stages attracted various bloggers in the field of fitness and lifestyle, ordered paid advertising for their services and profile. I also work with a person who is engaged in mass-liking, mass-trapping. My page is automatically subscribed to the pages of other people - those who can become my clients. When I travel, they set up promotion on my location. Now I am in London - they sign me up for a local audience. I will be in Moscow - to Moscow, and so on.
- The main tool of promotion is what you do and what you share with people. It should be either beautiful and inspiring, or interesting and useful. And ideally - all together. Then you can talk about the methods of promotion, then they have a chance to work - it all starts with what you share.
I started with the most primitive massfollowing, but quickly refused it: I realized that it goes against my feelings and beliefs. Subscribing to people to subscribe to you, and then unsubscribe - this is the same as saying “let's be friends” to a person, and then forget about him. In general, this method does not suit me. Well, that he almost does not work.
Now competitions are more relevant, mutual PR with the creators of your sphere and SFS (mention for the mention).
No one has also canceled entry to the top by hashtags and publishing in large communities, but that's as lucky. Collaborations and collaboration with brands or organizations also work well.
In general, I think that it’s necessary to occupy the head with these smaller ones - if you do something sincere and useful to people, then your audience will find you. And about commercial promotion and advertising - this is not for me, it is better to talk to someone else.
- First of all, it is an active life position, so to speak. I regularly published successful recipes, participated in mass activities - competitions, training events (and then I began to conduct them myself). The only thing I didn’t try was SFS, for some reason it wasn’t enough.
And then the word of mouth has already worked - the subscribers regularly wrote reviews on my recipes, then a culinary magazine, and from 2016 on my books, noting me in the comments.
4. If it's not a secret, how much was invested in the promotion?
- Small money. I buy ads from time to time, although I need to constantly. There were unsuccessful advertisements, more successful ones. Now I estimate for a blog with high-quality content and steady growth in the marketing niche budget of 80-100 thousand rubles a month. In the niche of young mummies, cooking, fitness and weight loss, this price is lower.
- 100-150 thousand rubles for all the time - this is the maximum that I invested. I don’t give advertisements all the time, I don’t even have an advertising budget as such - everything depends on the situation. For example, when you need to advertise courses. 10-15 times did advertising with bloggers. That's all.
- Time, effort or money? :) But seriously, there is not much money - about 10 thousand rubles for all services and third-party programs. On the other hand, I invested a lot of money in technology, in my development, in traveling around interesting places for filming. He refused something, sacrificed something - these are also means, everything just depends on priorities. Money is only one of many resources, you need to always remember this. It is more interesting for me to invest in myself, in my own growth and spiritual development.
- To be honest, not at all. If you do not count the prizes for the participants of the competition, which are often provided by sponsors. For advertising or recommendations I never paid. On the other hand, I started in the period when it was only possible to unwind at the expense of high-quality content and word of mouth. Now Instagram has changed the algorithm for displaying publications in the feed, it has become much more difficult to increase and retain subscribers.
5. What difficulties did you encounter at the beginning of your journey?
- The path of a blogger is not easy: what is in the beginning, what is in the middle. Only the difficulties are different. You should constantly see, evaluate and try on new trends. This path is full of doubts and reflections. In the beginning it was even easier: do not go - you can quit. At this stage it is already difficult to quit psychologically - a lot of energy has been invested.
- Since I did not plan to promote my account, at first there were no difficulties - everything happened naturally. Then I had to figure out how to organize a page, on what topic to write, so that it was relevant, how to distribute posts. There were moments when you write and write something useful - but it does not go, the people do not react. That is, I had to guess by experience the concept of my page.
Now there are other difficulties - you need to constantly be on the air, to hold events - all this takes energy, effort, time. But Instagram is a job that I love a lot.
- Difficulties accompany any way - not only at the beginning. If the path is without difficulties, then either this is not your path, or you are standing on the escalator. Standing, not going. Difficulties are only a word for interpreting experience or events that are necessary for us to develop. In my way there was and there is only one difficulty - to love difficulties, to stop treating them as something disturbing and to perceive them as opportunities to gain experience, to become better, closer to something high.
- I can not say that there were any particular difficulties. I enjoyed doing what I truly loved (and still love). And for subscribers I never specifically pursued. Although, what to hide, I have always been very pleased that my activity causes people's interest. When I first started my blog, I could not even think that it would become so popular and grow into a series of books!
6. What content do you prefer?
- Useful, written in clear, interesting language. When there are topics that can be discussed. I do not like just beautiful pictures without meaning, I do not like primitive.
- I am a creative, emotional person, I like to share my thoughts and feelings. Such posts that reveal a blogger as a person are the most interesting, people like it very much when everything comes from the heart. Of course, I do not write such content every day - inspiration does not always come. But he is my favorite. I also like to share workouts - this is useful and also very much appreciated by subscribers.
- Inspiring, helpful, sincere. I am inspired by nature and people who are able to look at this world with a pure look, free from stereotypes and harmful attitudes. People who themselves are drawn to the light and share it with others. In general, for me the main thing is the goal, the promise. I prefer not the form, but the content.
- My profile is devoted to cooking and food photography, so I am writing posts on one of two topics. Most often these are recipes or simply beautiful pictures of food. I like very much to stylize dishes for any epoch, for example, the USSR - to select the supply, props. Someone else's content (posters, advertisements) does not publish fundamentally: only what I create personally.
7. Do you run Instagram yourself or have an assistant?
- Herself. All this takes a lot of time, my blog is my reflection, my texts, my photos, my vision. This is not a commercial project that requires a team and brings a steady income.
- I inspect Instagram myself and write all posts exclusively by myself. I do not have a content plan, like many bloggers, I write everything at the behest of my soul. I wanted to - I wrote about the training, I wanted to - about the book I read.
Now I’ll reveal a secret: a few years ago I had a moment when it seemed more effective to hire an assistant. I would tell her posts, and she would write, select photos, make a content plan. And so it turned out to be hard! I had to completely redo everything - I didn’t like the syllable, it was very different from mine. People did not react to such posts - the audience did not cling. It lasted a month or two, and in the end I decided that no one would be better off than me. No one knows my audience as much as I myself - I have a strong energy exchange with her. I really appreciate it, so I decided to communicate with subscribers only by myself.
- I’m keeping everything myself, I don’t need an assistant, as Instagram for me is a means of gaining my experience and moving on my way, and not a platform for processing orders or a tool for commercial activities.
“I’m keeping my personal profiles myself, and the content for the working profile dedicated to my books is helped by the wonderful girl Masha. To lead three profiles alone, I certainly could not - on the social network and so it takes too much time.
8. Do you communicate with subscribers, respond to comments?
- Is always. This is a mandatory part of blogging - to give feedback and communicate with your readers, to set the atmosphere for the blog.
- I communicate with my subscribers almost every day, I respond to all comments. If you want activity on your page, so that people participate in your life - be kind too to participate in their life! If you are an egoist ("Read me, comment, I'm such a queen!"), People will not feel recoil. And when you carry on a dialogue, you are genuinely interested in people, their opinions are completely different.
For me, this is very valuable - the person shared his personal story with me, how can I not answer? Even if I have dozens of messages and it takes my personal time, anyway, not a single comment, not a single message will be left without attention.
I spend stories every day, often live broadcasts. Of course, there are days that I dedicate only to myself: these are weekends, holidays, travels. Then I can disappear for a few days, but then I definitely come back. Thus, I follow the instagram balance. Instagram is a very infectious platform that can suck you up a lot, and your life will turn into a virtual one. This is an unhealthy situation.
- I communicate and answer all messages: both in the "Direct" and in the comments. I do not have such a large audience not to find time for this. For me it is important and interesting - this is my experience, my path. If I can give something to a person, then I feel better when I do it. When you give, you gain: the whole trick is to understand it and feel it. I will communicate while I have enough time and while I feel in this part of my path and purpose.
- Yes, of course, I communicate, and with great pleasure. I try to respond to all comments, I regularly correspond with readers in the "Directo", I give advice on cooking. Plus, I regularly conduct live broadcasts, including as part of training courses on food photography.
9. What advise those who want to unwind on Instagram?
- I do not like the word "unwind". First you need to clearly understand what it is for, what purpose. Зачем вам популярность, что вы с ней собираетесь делать? Вы хотите зарабатывать на нем - тогда это такой же бизнес. Нужно прикинуть варианты монетизации, разработать стратегию ведения блога, стратегию продвижения, релевантную для вашей ниши и, конечно же, инвестиции. Порой не меньше, чем в другой малый бизнес - салон красоты или магазин.
If you run a blog for the soul, you can not be silent, you need a realization in the current circumstances of life - then learn to be interesting, to make high-quality content, look for your uniqueness, your chip. This will be the key to success and will provide an opportunity to move for a small budget. There are lots of examples.
- Be natural. Be interesting. Be funny Tell about yourself more - about the difficulties you had to go through, share your experience. Do not be afraid to open up - it is these posts that motivate people and make them do things. And it causes sympathy. When subscribers understand that you have gone through what it is going through now, it brings you very close.
- I generally take care of the advice, so I can only advise looking deep into myself and try to find the real reason from which the need for this promotion comes. There you can find all the answers about yourself and about how to go where you want. Well, do not forget that promotion is just a means to achieve something more. Like Instagram, by the way.
- First of all, it will be difficult to choose the topic that sincerely interests you, since it will be hard to write every day about what is popular, but does not bring pleasure. Yes, and readers will feel false. It is desirable that the topic was relatively narrow: for example, vegetarian cooking, and it should be traced in all posts.
Secondly, to come up with some kind of zest, which will distinguish you from other profiles - it can be a special manner of presenting information, style of photos, etc. The main thing is to invent something of your own and not blindly copy popular bloggers.
Third, be active, persistent and consistent. And do not give up half way. Finally, I would advise reading blogs on promoting in Instagram - there you can find a lot of useful information and ideas for future posts.
10. What is the highlight of your Instagram?
- First of all, this is the audience. You need to understand that for B2B Instagram is not the best platform. About 80% of active users are women. Many moms, many young people under 24 years. Instagram is a network for those who have extra time, so the development of blogs in business niches on this site is less promising than in others.
Therefore, my audience is thinking people. Those who are interested in popular science topics, development and the desire to look into the essence of phenomena, and not just watch a series about someone else's life. Although the second category is also more popular, as shows of the House-2 type are popular, but this is not my story.
- According to my subscribers, I have a real live page, I tell about all my emotions - both positive and negative, I share life situations - and successes and difficulties. And quite vividly doing all this. I am always honest and frank with my subscribers - I am not trying to embellish my life, I tell everything as it is. And still positive - I always go on the air with a smile, with joyful emotions. I think it attracts people and delays on my page.
- In all and nothing at the same time. On the one hand, this is the look with which I see the world, on the other - I cannot say that only I see it that way. I have a lot of nature on Instagram, atmospheric videos and reasonings like the ones that were in this interview. If this someone responds, I will be glad to see you on my blog - perhaps we are on the way.
- In my opinion, in useful content - first of all, simple recipes from the available ingredients, which are obtained by the majority of my readers, regardless of their level of preparation. Therefore, I try as often as possible to please subscribers with fresh seasonal recipes or book dishes.
From the author
So how do you do this? How to turn from an ordinary person into a leader of opinions, into one of those who really stand behind thousands of people? What is the strength in, brother? I think everything is simple: you have to be yourself. An uninteresting person will keep an uninteresting blog, no matter what site a person chooses: Instagram, Facebook or LiveJournal. And when you have something to say, share useful content, reveal all of yourself and put the soul on your palms - you will surely break out into the top. INFA weaving.
Do you want the same? Read our most detailed instructions on how to promote on Instagram. Or contact us - "VelikaPlaza" is engaged in promotion in social networks of any brand.